Like you EVER need an excuse to eat a hot dog, but if you are searching, you’ve come to the right place.
HAPPY NATIONAL HOT DAY DAY, FRIENDS!
National Hot Dog Day is the brain-child of the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council (yes, it’s really a thing) based in Washington, DC. Evidently July has been deemed National Hot Dog month since the 1950’s. Who knew?
In honor of this new knowledge and clearly momentous and delicious occasion, I’ve rounded up the top 5 spots to grab a dog in Austin.
- Frank – located downtown on 4th and Colorado, this spot is number 1 in my eyes. Everything I’ve eaten there is great, the mac & cheese is a perfect side and the beers are served in Mason jars. Can’t beat it. (I love it so much, it also made my Top 25 Date Night Spots!)
- Chi-Town – located off of 620, this funky spot will get you drooling with the tastes of Chicago. The menu is pretty classic and is sure to delight.
- Sonora Hot Dogs – located off Burnet Road, this hot dog truck has some incredible options and even better yelp reviews. Give it a try and let me know your fave.
- Banger’s Sausage House and Beer Garden – No list would be complete without the Rainey St haunt that boasts the “largest sausage selection in Austin”. I challenge you to verify!
- Sonic Drive-In – While Sonic is definitely not going to give you the same experience as the above rec’s, I would be remiss to leave it off – the classic drive-in not only is super easy to run through with your mini full of kiddos, but on National Hot Dog Day, Sonic is offering $1 All-American Dogs and $1 Chili Cheese Coney’s all day long! ***Make sure you check with your local Sonic as specific deals may vary based on location.***
There you have it. Let me know where you celebrate today, or, share what YOUR favorite hot dog is when you make them at home!
And, you’re welcome.
Stay Cool, Austin!