Whether you’re ready or not, the holiday season is upon us. Part of the merry-making typically involves gift giving. Now holiday gifts can take many forms, from neatly packaged baked goods to skillfully crafted creations that result in several glue gun singed fingers.
But let’s be honest for a minute.
Even if we muster a few handcrafted goodies the bulk of our gift recipient list is fulfilled by purchasing items that we feel (or know) will be appreciated by the person getting the gift. Shopping for gifts can be an intense online search for just the right item, or it can be an intense hunt from store to store, OR it can look like a quick stop at the closest Target store for something that is ‘good enough’.
This year, when hunting down gifts for all those on your list, consider shopping for a cause. There are several retailers who will take a portion of your transaction and give it back to an organization. Make this season of holiday gift giving count by helping out others with your purchases. We’ve gathered a short list of companies that will make sure your shopping contributes to the greater good:
- Sevenly: A great resource for relevant (and comfy) clothing items that support a variety of causes.
- Modropy: Another great site with clothing that has a current message and supports several different organizations.
- Road Twenty-Two: Help women from a variety of backgrounds find success and learn marketable skills with your purchase of contemporary clothing that carries a strong message.
- The Giving Keys: Support those getting out of homelessness with the purchase of a variety of different pieces of jewelry.
- Esperos: Picking up a stylish, on-trend Esperos bag will help to fund education for a child in a developing country.
- Sudara: This company offers comfy and beautiful loungewear (along with other clothing) that is made by women who have learned sewing skills as a way to liberate them from human slavery.
- Bridgewater Candle Company: Order a candle from Bridgewater and you help to feed a child for a day.
- RxArt: Order a contemporary art-filled coloring book and help fund art installations in pediatric hospitals around the country.
- Bombas: Snag a pair of these colorful socks and another pair will be donated to those in need.
- SoapBox Soaps: With every product sold, a month of clean water or a bar of soap is given to a person in need.