The restaurant scene in Austin is like no other. It seems like everyday I read about or scan through Instagram pics from fancy, foodie launch parties. Now a lot of those new places are great for a date night or a night out with the girls, but they may not always be the best option with baby in tow. Babies don’t always stick to reservations, their carriers don’t fit up next to tiny tables made from up-cycled wood beams and having to park blocks away, no thanks!
Let’s be honest, especially in those early months, mama’s gotta get out of the house and the newest ramen hot spot may just not be the most convenient!
When putting this list together, we looked for restaurants with slings to hold your baby carriers, high-chairs for the older babies, changing tables and activities and meals for older toddler or big kid siblings.
- Kerbey Lane Cafe – 7 area locations many with playscapes; lots of options on the menu (even for the picky eaters in your family)
- The Frisco – great burgers and a big kids menu + kids eat free after 5pm!
- Hat Creek Burgers – 4 area locations; Tuesday nights are family nights with activities and discounts; playgrounds!
- Flores – 4 area locations; convenient parking; playgrounds!
- Central Market Cafe – 2 area locations; large playground and outdoor patio at the North Lamar location; bonus: knock-out some grocery shopping after you eat!
- Whole Foods Cafe – 5 area locations; healthy meal options for you and the kiddos; bonus: knock-out some grocery shopping after you eat!
- Pinthouse Pizza – 2 area locations; loud so you don’t have to worry about baby squeals
- Mandola’s Italian Market – 3 area locations; awesome changing tables with extra wipes in case you run out; playscapes for the older kiddos
- Maudie’s Tex Mex – 7 area locations; changing tables in both men and women’s bathrooms
- Galaxy Cafe – 4 area locations; healthy options for the whole family
- Crema Bakery & Cafe – quick service; easy parking; great weekend brunch & sweet treats!
- Jack Allen’s Kitchen – 3 area locations; patio seating if the weather is nice
- Contigo – East Side restaurant and bar with lots of outdoor patio seating
- Midway Food Park – collection of 8 different food trucks with lots of picnic table seating and a playground; Dock & Roll lobster rolls are my personal favorite!
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Baby Day – plan for lunch and a flick on Tuesday with baby; one of my favorite maternity leave activities!