School is almost out. Summer is nearly here. The pool is open, and the kids are begging to dive in! Am I the only one feeling completely unprepared and like this snuck up on me? I know moms who’ve been bringing their kids to swim lessons for months already, and I’m just starting to wrap my brain around it. If that’s you too, don’t worry! It’s not too late to sign up for swim lessons around the Austin area.
First here are a few key things to remember, and to consider when choosing your swim program or private instructor.
- For babies and young children, it’s about being comfortable in the water rather than mastering a swim technique.
- If your child struggles with bath time, or hates the water, forcing lessons can increase that anxiety. Try visiting a pool casually first before you commit time or money.
- Ask yourself what time of day your child would be most receptive to learning and participating. (morning? after nap? afternoon?)
- Ask yourself what type of environment would be most comforting for your child. (group? one-on-one with instructor? mommy or daddy and me class?)
- Other things to think about: what to bring! Check the program’s requirements for gear (i.e. flotation devices, goggles, etc.) swim diapers, potty-trained, etc. Bust most importantly, is there a skill-level requirement to sign up? (For example, some classes require a starting point to join, like being able to blow bubbles under water.)
- Don’t forget a change of clothes, snacks, water bottle, towel… you know the whole house!
Here are 20+ great options for swim lessons all around Austin!
Disclosure :: The production of this guide is brought to you by our sponsors, Emler Swim School, SafeSplash Swim School and British Swim School. We are thankful for their sponsorship of this great resource!
Physical places that offer private and/or group swim lessons:
*Emler Swim School: emlerswimschool.com
With two locations in Austin, this is an award-winning swim school with 40 years of experience. They are now registering for summer swim classes so call to register soon! Anderson Mill location: 512-342-SWIM (7946), Westlake location:512-327-SWIM (7946).
*SafeSplash Swim School: www.safesplash.com
The nationally acclaimed SafeSplash Swim School is finally NOW here and open in the Austin area. With two convenient locations, Anderson Mill Road and Pflugerville, SafeSplash is here to serve your family’s swim instruction needs. Check out their website and inquire about the 10% off Austin Moms Blog special: www.safesplash.com.
Want your children to have fun and learn to swim all at the same time? We use gentle, fun methods to teach ages 3 months with their parents up to swim team age children and, we offer adult classes also! With 35 years of experience, we serve the Communities throughout Williamson County with indoor pools in Round Rock and Georgetown, Texas. Look us up on Facebook-Swim Austin or use our website at www.britishswimschool.com
*Austin Parks & Recreation Department Swim Lessons: austintexas.gov/swimming
Aqua Know Aquatics: aquaknowaquatics.org
*Aqua Tots: aquatots-roundrock.com
Lakeway Aquatic Center: lakewayaquatics.com
*LifeTime Fitness: lifetimefitness.com/en/programs-and-events/sports/swim.html
Ms Cathy’s Swim: mscathyswimaustin.com
Nora Martin Swim School: noramartinswimschool.net
Swim School of Austin: swimschoolaustin.com
Tom’s Dive and Swim: tomsscuba.com
Waterloo Swimming: waterlooswimschool.com
Private lessons where the instructors come to you or your community pool:
Amy Anderson Aquatics: facebook.com/AmyAndersonAquatics/
Joy McCain’s Swim School: privateswimATX@gmail.com
AquaMobile Swim School: aquamobileswim.com
Happy Swimmers: happyswimmers.com
Infant Swimming Resource: infantswim.com
Sunsational Swim School: sunsationalswimschool.com
(Those with an *asterisk have multiple locations to choose from around Austin.)