32 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day in Austin
St. Patrick’s Day has passed, but don’t put away your green just yet. Earth Day is right around the ivy-covered corner. It will be happening on Saturday, April 22nd to be exact. How do you plan to dote on your favorite orb? Don’t have any crazy, award-winning ways to celebrate this wonderful place we call home?
Here are just a few ways that you can be environmentally conscious and have a blast while improving our luscious city.
How to celebrate Earth Day in Austin:
- Bike to wherever you need to go
- Plan a kickball game with some friends (p.s. if you do, call me.)
- Switch a device or two to solar power (Austin has 300+ days of sunshine a year)
- Take any unused appliances, computers, cell phones, etc. to a recycling facility
- Don’t be a drip and fix that leaky faucet
- Eat local, organic food
- Go for a hike along Barton Creek Greenbelt
- Start a compost pile (in an area you don’t often mingle)
- Make some sun tea
- Plant a garden. YUM!
- Carpool (and dance in the passenger seat)
- Have a picnic in your favorite park. We are lucky we have SO many to choose from!
- Skip bath time (save the water and cuddle instead)
- Lower the temperature on your hot water heater
- Switch all your bills to online payments
- Visit the Austin Nature and Science Museum
- Turn off the A/C and open all the windows
- Read a real book
- Change the lightbulbs in your home to be energy-saving bulbs
- Skip the bottled water and reach for a reusable container
- Install rain barrels on your gutters
- Visit Austin Creative Reuse (Yes, please do.)
- Hang a hummingbird feeder or birdhouse (the kiddos always have a good time painting them)
- Volunteer for a local clean-up committee
- Inquire about introducing recycling to your place of employment
- Visit the Austin Zoo and sponsor an animal
- Eat vegetarian/vegan
- Say ‘no’ to plastic bags
- Drink some kombucha
- Turn off your electronics for a day
- Have a candlelit dinner
And last, but not least… everyone’s favorite:
32. Plant a tree
However you choose to celebrate Earth Day, Mother Nature + Austin will thank you.