You’ll love part-time!” they said.
“You’ll have the best of both worlds!” they said.
But, there is a dirty little secret that all part-time job moms know… Nothing is actually part-time. We really are stay-at-home-mom slash work-mom going 80 miles per hour regardless of where we physically are 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
As we all know, motherhood is full-time whether you are at work or at home. Whether you drive to an office or work from your laptop from the comfort of your couch, there really is no escaping the full-time job that being a mom requires.
So here I am, working on said “part-time job” from my other full-time mommy job, which in turn means it takes me twice (or three times) as long to complete normal tasks because I am constantly juggling.
So, you may be a part-time-job-mom IF:
- You envy the full-time-working-mom
- Let’s be honest – this chick gets to complete TWICE as much work in a shorter amount of time than we can. She can complete projects in a timely manner, attend meetings more regularly and of course, the obvious…. She gets paid more.
- You envy the stay-at-home-mom
- This mom probably gets more time to do fun projects and outings moreso than we can. On my days “off,” I’m either busy completing the chores that don’t get done on work days OR I’m cramming more fun into one day that most likely ends in tears because let’s face it… forcing fun isn’t fun.
- If your partner works full time, he or she is under the impression that we have “more time” than they do.
- LOL. I’m literally full-time-momming and working part-time and YES, I still have hobbies I’d like to participate in (drinking wine) that take up my time.
- Naps = calls; Screen times = work; Toilet time = email; Post-bedtime = work/wine.
- It’s hard to make playdates with your SAHM friends.
- You have no idea when to exercise.
- Because of the random schedule, I have no idea when to work out. Do I work out on work days since it’s already a wash and I’m away from the kids? Do I work out on non-work days but then feel guilt when I drop them off at the gym daycare?
- You miss binge-watching TV shows. Every time I think there may be an opportunity to sit and watch a show once the kiddo is in bed, I just end up working.
Now, in all seriousness, no matter what kind of mom you are (full-time, part-time, stay-at-home), we are all working our butts off. There are ups and downs to every path we choose, and for me and my family, part-time feels like the right path for us. I DO get the best of both worlds, I just like to blog and ask for street cred every once in awhile.
To all my part-time mommas, I see you.