Even as a life-long Texan, our summer heat always seems to sneak up on me. You know that day when you look at the temperature on your car dashboard and it says 90+ or 100+ degrees? You know the heat is here to stay!
We’ve pulled together some of our favorite activities for the whole family to beat the heat in Austin:
- Library Events – Most Austin Library branches host several kid-friendly events throughout the summer. From story time to Wii tournaments to movie matinees, there’s free indooor fun for everyone.
- Play Classes – there are several indoor play gym classes for littles around Austin such as Gymboree Play & Music, MyGym and Little Gym. Many let you try out your first class for free!
- Play Spaces – Little Land Play Gym just renovated (and is also opening several new locations!) There is also Catch Air that hosts events every week.
- Open Gymnastics Gym – Several gymnastics gym around Austin offer open gym, including Acrotex, Champions, and Capital Gymnastics.
- Whole Foods Kids Club – Enjoy snacks, story time, crafts and more for free! All ages welcome: Whole Foods Market Lamar (Wednesdays at 9:30 AM), Arbor Hills (Thursdays at 10 AM), Domain (Tuesdays at 9:30 AM) and Arboretum (every other Saturday at Noon).
- The Thinkery – Austin’s favorite indoor children’s “museum” that includes a fun water room, infant area and tons of hands-on activities to keep your kiddos entertained. They have programs for every age including camps and my personal favorite, adult-only Thinkery21. Free for kiddos under 2; $10 general admission; memberships available.
- Tour of State Capitol – The Texas State Capitol offers free tours and they’re kid-friendly. It’s fun to be a tourist in your own city!
- Splash Pads – there are SO many around Austin that are safe for all ages.
- Movies – Whether it’s kids camp at Alamo Drafthouse, or Mommy Mondays or Tuesday morning free movies at Moviehouse & Eatery.
- Pools – Yes the obvious place to cool off in the summer, but we have them categorized by age so you can find the perfect fit!
- Be an Artist – Whether you head to Smudge Studios or Painting with a Twist.
- Do Some Yoga – Little Yoga House offers family yoga as drop-in on the weekends.
- Toybrary – This toy lending library offers events (music classes, character visits) that keep your little ones entertained in the air conditioning.
- Austin Aquarium – On select days, mermaids come out! You can also see sharks, stingrays, and and reptiles.
- LBJ Presidential Library – There are plenty of educational tours to help plan your time there.
- Texas Museum of Science and Technology – located in Cedar Park. this planetarium museum offers the current exhibit of items from Pharaoh’s Tomb.
- Ice Skate – Public skating is offered every day at Chapparal Ice. Admission is $8.00 and skate rental is $5.00 for children and adults. Kids 5 years of age and under skate for ONLY $5 on Saturday and Sunday including skate rental.
- Roller Skate – Playland Skate opens every weekday at noon for $8 skating.
- Main Event – From Laser Tag, to bowling, to rock climbing all under one air-conditioned roof. You can get a summer fun pass starting at $12.95
- Cooking Classes – Patricia’s Table offers kids cooking classes including workshops such as Master Chef, Jr. and Cooks and Books (where Children’s Books come alive.)
- Music Class – Both Heartsong and Armstrong Community Music offer summer music sessions.
- Snow Cones – Yes you’ll be out in the heat waiting for one, but you can cool off with one of the many delicious choices around town — including Bahama Bucks and Sweet Caroline’s.
Be sure and also read the following for some cool summer inspiration:
- 10 Ways to Make a Difference this Summer
- Gymnastics Summer Camps & Classes at Champions
- 10 DIY Indoor Summer Activities