School officially got out on June 1st. Yesterday I thought to myself, “You know, why DON’T we do year round school in Texas?” I can FEEL my kids’ brains turning to mush. But that’s not the only thing I feel. I can feel my life being sucked out of me. All of my resolve is slipping away. I don’t know, maybe it has something to do with the fact that by 8 AM, I had already told my kids “no” at least twenty times.
Here’s my morning. Can you relate?
5:30 AM. Three year old was demanding water and a TV show. “No, child. Go back to sleep, and YOU DON’T TALK TO YOUR MOM LIKE THAT.” He cries and goes back to sleep. (And thankfully, so do I.)
7:25 AM. Seven-year-old is nudging me, “Mom, can we go to Tyler’s house today?” (WTH ARE YOU ASKING ME THIS AT 7:25 AM.)
“Um, I don’t know. Can you go turn on a show? I’ll be there in a few minutes.”
“We already watched four shows.” (WHAT TIME DID YOU WAKE UP?)
“Okay, I’m getting up. No iPads or video games today.” (Did I mention everyone’s brain is turning to mush?)
7:35 AM. Feeding everyone breakfast. Three-year-old asks for a Coke. “No, child. You cannot have a Coke.” Meltdown ensues.
7:45 AM. Seven-year-old says, “I’m bored!”
“Then how about you do a math lesson in your workbook?” (See how hard I’m trying?)
“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!” (Holy crap, kid. Get a hold of yourself.)
Yeah I’m a summer stay-at-home mom. And on June 1st, I was dying for summer. We’ve flipped the switch. Here’s a little honest peek into the thoughts I’ve had:
- “I need a job that pays JUST a little more than what a full-time nanny costs.”
- “Year-round school is SUCH a good idea. Summer break should last from Memorial Day till after July 4th.”
- “Surely I can splurge on an iced-coffee from FAVOR today.”
- “How am I going to pull it together to last the next MONTH before school starts again?”
- “What is my sanity really worth?”
- “We have gone seriously wrong in our parenting and we need help.”
- “HOW DO PEOPLE HOMESCHOOL… FOR REAL?!?”
- “Dinner. WHAT am I going to do for dinner?” (I just fed them breakfast 1, breakfast 2, snack, lunch 1, lunch 2, snack, and dinner 1.)
True story. LAST Summer, I pre-scheduled counseling sessions every other week throughout the summer in preparation for the summer doldrums. Somehow, last summer, I was able to maintain a lot of structure and it all ended up being fine. This summer, I think I went in overly confident.
I wish I had the answers for you friends. But I don’t. If you can relate on ANY level, then this post has done it’s duty. Godspeed. And just over a month till school starts.