Winter is coming.
And with Winter comes cold weather, fire pits, warm boots, crisp, cool air, and my personal favorite time of the year to dote on The Hubs, my Magic. There’s just something to be said about the electricity of the white lights, and the slight breeze of December that creates a perfect environment for the most amazing cuddles. Getting out of the house and spending some much needed one-on-one time together is a surefire way to suppress holiday stress and keep from having a major meltdown. Plus, your sitter will appreciate the extra spending cash!
Here a few ideas for winter dates to get the blood flowing and put the cortisol in check:
- Ice Skating on the rink above Whole Foods. Definitely open during the weekends, but you would have to double check before you head out during the week as sometimes it’s reserved for events.
- Ballet Austin.
- Zilker Lights. Who wouldn’t want to see 3,309 lights that make up a ginormous tree? Added fun: Take the metro rail to Downtown and then hire a rickshaw to take you over to Zilker.
- 10 pins and a whole lot of fun—go for a strike with some bowling.
- Fulfill your duties as a Texan and learn to two-step.
- Take a mini trip and rent a cabin in the woods, the peaceful woods, the super quiet woods, kidless… Doesn’t that sound dreamy?
- Test out your trivia skills. Heard of Geeks Who Drink? If you haven’t, you should get to know them.
- Enjoy the rush of adrenaline to warm you up? Check out indoor go-karting!
- Austin Bouldering Project. You’re welcome. It’s rad.
- One of my all time favorites? Drive around gawking at everyone else’s light displays. Might be nice to bring along some hot chocolate or an eggnog milkshake to share too!
- Give back to the community and deliver some Meals on Wheels. Sitting down and hearing the wonderful stories of those you meet is sure to warm your soul.
- Texas Ski Ranch. It opened circa 2013 and I haven’t stopped hearing about it since. Think fake snow, ski lessons and shorts… because, well, it’s fake snow.
- Attend a Texas Stars hockey game. Bonus: Every so often HEB will have coupons for FREE attendance for two.
- Mini Golf at Peter Pan. Grab your favorite 6-pack and some cash, and head over to this well-known kitschy course.
- Enjoy a Moonlight Cruise on Ladybird Lake for only $10/person! And, oh yeah, it’s BYOB.
- Beer + Pizza. The Jester King Brewery/Stanley’s Farmhouse Pizza combo is sure to please.
- Pack a picnic, bundle up and climb Mount Bonnell. The sunsets here are incredible!
Whatever you choose to do this Winter season, have a very safe and happy holiday!