Day Dates- South Austin Edition
My husband and I take off one Friday a month for a day date while our daughter Amaya is in daycare. For us, it’s the perfect way to reconnect and recharge without the hassle of a babysitter and trying to wind back up to go out after a long day. We treasure our day dates and the fact that it’s easy to grab a nice lunch or check out an early happy hour and not have to wait or make a reservation. We value spontaneity and ease.
I put together a couple of my ideal day dates by theme. These are mostly around South Austin where we live, but I hope this jogs some ideas for my fellow mamas.
It’s 5 o’clock Somewhere
- Alamo Drafthouse (South Lamar) – Check out an early matinee
- TLC – $5 Happy Hour starts at 3pm every weekday! Easy parking, cornhole on the patio, games inside, great food and quick service are just a few reasons to go. Bonus: kid and pet friendly too!
- Lick Honest Ice Creams – Grab a scoop afterwards for dessert! I always love their seasonal flavors!
Taste the World
- Alcomar – Try their fresh, delicious Peruvian cuisine; I love the calamari and ceviche!
- Dolce Neve – Straight from Italy, this authentic gelato is fantastic and always features seasonal flavors.
Have Fun, Get Fit
- Barton Springs, The Greenbelt, Zilker Park, Town Lake, or your favorite boot camp – Break a sweat together and work up an appetite
- Soup Peddler – Grab a smoothie or juice to cool down and nourish your body
There’s nothing better for your marriage than taking some time to reconnect. For us, it doesn’t always have to include a babysitter + an expensive meal/reservation/getting wound up at the end of a long week or day. Day dates work for us! I’d love to hear about your perfect day date too!