A high-quality education in your neighborhood! Submit an application to IDEA Austin for the 2017-18 school year by January 27.
Watching your child leave for their first day of school each year is an emotional moment for parents. While it’s exciting to see your child progress on their educational journey from year to year, it can also be a little scary as they embark on a new school year.
Well before the first day of school, parents make the important decision of where to send their child to school. For many, the time is right now. During that process it’s important to ask ourselves the right questions: Is this school the best fit for my child? s this school going to develop my child’s character? Will this school provide my child with one-on-one teacher interactions? Will this school allow my child to achieve grade-level mastery or more?
IDEA Public Schools believes that each and every child can go to college. They focus on academic excellence, alongside character building, and place the success of your child above all else, which is all we could ever ask for as parents.
The growing network of tuition-free, pre-K through 12th grade public charter schools boasts 100 percent college acceptance, and a college graduation rate five times the national average for students from low-income communities. Additionally, IDEA is ranked among the Top 1% of high schools in the nation, on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists and was recently named America’s Best Charter School Network, and boasts national rankings
IDEA Austin currently serves 2,500 students in grades kindergarten through 10th, expanding to 11th and 12th grade in the next two years, and has six schools in Austin: IDEA Allan Academy and College Prep (Montopolis Neighborhood), IDEA Rundberg Academy and College Prep, and IDEA Bluff Springs Academy and College Prep.
Any student, regardless of their zip code, grades, or family income, has an equal opportunity to be selected to an IDEA Austin school. Each year, IDEA hosts a blind lottery to select the students who will fill the coveted spots for the upcoming school year.
The annual lottery for the 2017-18 school year takes place on Saturday, January 28. Here’s everything you need to know about how to enroll your child:
- Applying to IDEA is easy and students are selected as long as there are open seats available in their grade
- To enter the lottery, you must submit a completed application before the deadline on Friday, January 27.
- Applications can be completed online at www.ideapublicschools.org/apply, by phone at 512-646-2828, or in person by visiting any IDEA Austin campus during normal hours.
- Whenever IDEA Public Schools receives more applications than spots available, they must randomly select students to ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to attend. A blind lottery will be held Saturday, January 28, 2017 to determine which students will fill spots available at each IDEA school.
- When the capacity for each grade is reached, the remaining students’ applications are assigned a position on the waiting list in randomized order (only applications completed before the deadline participate in the lottery).
Currently, demand is high to attend IDEA Public Schools, so we encourage you to submit your application before the deadline.
But, don’t get discouraged if your child is not selected during the lottery. Students who aren’t admitted immediately are automatically placed on the waiting list, and spots may become available throughout the year.
“One of my favorite things about IDEA Austin is that they aim for their students not only to be prepared for college, but also to live happy and healthy lives. In fact, they see these outcomes as inextricably linked,” says local mom Michelle Rodriguez, whose son attends IDEA Allan Academy.