Dust off your boots it’s Austin rodeo time. Before you grab the kiddos and head out to the Travis County Expo Center be sure to check out our insider tips. This Austin tradition dates back to 1938 and it is where weird meets western.
Rodeo Austin 101
- Dates: March 11-25
- Location: Travis Country Expo Center: 7311 Decker Lane, Austin, TX 78724
- Gates: March 11-19: 10am-12 midnight, March 20-24: 10am-11pm, March 25: 10am-12 midnight
- Carnival: March 11-19: 10am-12 midnight, March 20-24: 4pm-11pm, March 25: 10am-12 midnight
- Pro-Rodeo and Concert Performances: Mondays-Saturdays: 7pm, Sundays: 3pm
- Tickets: Purchase online, through the Texas Box Office call center at 512-477-6060 or on-site at the ticket windows during operating hours. (Children 2 and under: FREE)
- Parking: $15 per vehicle CASH ONLY
- Mom Info: Strollers, wagons and bottled water are approved.
There’s a lot more than live music and rodeo! Check out our list of extra fun kid-friendly activities and insider tips:
- $2 Tuesday: Planning has its perks. Schedule your visit for Tuesday, March 21 and take advantage of $2 fairground admission, $2 carnival rides and games, and 2 for the price of 1 Rodeo and Concert Tickets.
- Kidstown: The family-friendly destination of the fairground. Complete with petting zoo (don’t miss the special section of babies!), pony rides and educational daily milk shows by Southwest Dairy.
- The Carnival: With more than 60 rides and games for the whole family you are sure to tire out the little ones. Take advantage of the Spring Break Wristband Special (March 13-16) with unlimited ride wristbands for $28 adults, $25 children under 13 years old. Includes fairgrounds admission. Must be purchased at the gate, not available online. Super planner? Click here for ride details including height requirements.
- Wild West Show: It’s all about ropin’ and ridin’ at the Wild West Show. Tomàs Garcilazo will dazzle the entire family with a roping demonstration. Team Ghost Rider’s sheep dog riding monkeys are an adorable don’t-miss. On weekends, you can catch Mutton Bustin’ Mania or the Ultimate Scramble Championship.
- Pig Races: Head over to Pork Chop Downs and watch as the Swifty Swine racers compete for the prize of an Oreo cookie.
- Taste of Texas Tent: New this year on the north side of the fairgrounds you will find a craft beer garden, tasty eats from local food trucks and H-E-B’s Taste of Texas food sampling tent. Kickback with a cold one and enjoy some tunes with the family at the KASE/KVET outdoor stage.
- Avenue of Breeds: Want to Stop by for an up-close and personal look at livestock, horses and poultry from local farms and ranches. Check out the hatchery where incubating eggs and hatching chicks are displayed.
- 100X Club: It’s not always about the kids. Date night, girls night out? Be sure to let the sitter know you will be home a little later and head over to the 100X Club after the concert for even more live music as you dance the night away at Rodeo Austin’s exclusive after-hours honky-tonk.
More general tips for the Austin Rodeo with Kids:
- Bring plenty of cash — some places are cash ONLY and you don’t want to miss out.
- Try to go right when the gates open to avoid crowds.
- There is bumpy terrain so a jogging stroller or baby wearing might be better bet.
- A LOT of the kid-friendly activities are in covered areas, so you don’t have worry too much about the weather once you are there.