As the old saying goes, “If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.” As society begins to recognize the importance of physical and mental health, both moms and those who love them have started to prioritize the concept of self-care. Mamas: pamper yourselves because our children can’t drink from a fountain that has run dry! Dads: treat her to a full spa day or simply make sure she’s able to carve out some regular, uninterrupted time alone in the bathroom. Whether it’s at the spa, salon, out shopping or even at home, there are opportunities for a little mom pampering everywhere!
- Spa Day: Located in the Four Points area, Peppermint Pedi Parlor is not your average nail salon! In addition to expert-level nail care and a luxury gifting & beauty boutique, they have recently expanded to offer facials, waxing, dermaplaning, and lash lifts & tints. Plus, the Parlor uses all-natural, organic, and many locally-sourced products in all of their offerings so it’s safe for moms & moms-to-be.
- Massage with Childcare Option: Oak Haven Massage (right across from Lakeline Mall) offers massage & chiropractic services at extremely reasonable rates. Plus, there’s a super-convenient way to carve out that hour to herself: Oak Haven Kids Club is next door and offers hourly drop-in childcare from ages 6 weeks – 12 years.
- Healthy Smoothies: Who else finds themselves hitting up the drive-through while we wait out baby’s carseat nap? Or noshing in the car while sitting in the school pick-up line? If any of the above apply, Smoothie King is an awesome source for quick, healthy nourishment (and helping with those New Year’s resolutions!) In fact, they’re currently serving up Holiday Meal Replacement smoothies — a gift card for a few of these would make a handy stocking stuffer.
- Fashionable Hydration: Help her stay hydrated in style! d.stil is a new line of reusable water bottles designed with fashion, function & philanthropy in mind. Available at Target, each bottle combines specially-curated finishes and materials with the portable convenience an active mom needs.
A Visit to the Salon
- Get ‘Silky-Smooth’ for Free: Bowie Street Collective is a brand-new hair salon at the corner of 3rd & Bowie. Until Valentine’s Day ’18, they’re giving away a complimentary Keratin Complex Vitalshot Treatment with the purchase of any hair service. Keratin treatments rebuild & repair damaged hair from the inside out (read: less frizz and more shine). They also result in less styling time required in the morning — perfect for a busy mom!
- Make-up Application: When you become a mom, suddenly there is zero time to apply that signature winged eyeliner or smoky eye. Now with three locations throughout Austin, Jose Luis Salon & Boutique offers makeovers for a special event or even just lessons in streamlining your makeup routine.
- A Personalized Touch: Without a doubt, Neiman Marcus is the epitome of luxury shopping in Austin. What makes it so special? Just to name a few perks of a trip to this Domain department store: one-on-one attention from professional stylists, two private spa rooms with monthly facials from numerous skincare lines, wardrobe consultation from head-to-toe…and of course, a glass of wine.
- Boutique at its Best: Altatudes recently opened doors in the heart of historic East Austin. It’s a women’s boutique that carries everything from denim and tees to cocktail dresses, shoes and handbags. Moms can relax on a plush couch under a chandelier while shopping the shoe wall…in the words of Carrie Bradshaw, “Hello, Lover!”
- Multitasking Mom: Did you know you can get your brows waxed at Nordstrom Barton Creek Square? The brow gurus at the Anastasia Beverly Hills counter provide this service by appointment right within the cosmetics department. Learn your ideal brown shape based upon the “Golden Ratio” and get them groomed & styled all inside Nordy’s.
A Night Out (or In)
- Dinner in a Dash: Give Mom a dinnertime hall pass with a gift card to feed the family. Mama Fu’s is Austin’s go-to for Asian comfort food in a fast casual setting…let her relish in zero clean-up duties by dining-in or bring it home so she can enjoy that delish take-out in her jammies.
- Parents Night Out: Could she use a little wining & dining? Or even just a night at the movies? Consider sending the littles to Parents Night Out at Little Land Play Gym. The North Austin indoor play area has developmental & super-fun activities, equipment, and games for all ages. Let them get their wiggles out while parents enjoy a few hours out on the town; offered every other Friday from 4 – 8 p.m.
- Aromatherapy Aides: Houston-based Source Vitál was established nearly 30 years ago as a natural, spa-professional line. Moms will particularly love their Bath & Body Oil sampler, which helps care for a multitude of issues: overindulging, seasonal stress, achy feet, hormonal swings or help getting some Zzzs. Also, their Customized Facial Serum is a multi-use 3-in-1 product based on mom’s specific skin care needs. Toner, protective serum & botanical hydrators all together in one bottle? –Done.
- Bath Bombs: Turn mama’s cherished bath time into something special by gifting a high-quality bath bomb homemade right here in Texas. Lila Bath Bombs come in an array of vibrant colors and are available with holiday themes, glitter, or birthstone rings inside! Plus, as they moisturize the skin, they fill the room with fragrance and turn the bathwater beautiful shades of pink or blue (without staining the tub).
- Salt Therapy: Lakeway’s Austin Salt Cave mimics the climate conditions of a real salt cave to promote physical healing, meditation & relaxation. Some say an hour in their treatment room helps with allergies & skin conditions. Either way, being surrounded by 11 tons of pink Himalayan salt covering the floors, in lamps along the walls, and infused into the air is a wellness concept worth trying out.
- Float Sesh: With a handful of ‘float spas’ around town to choose from, allow her to completely decompress by a session within a zero sensory input pod. Once inside, users experience effortless floatation in a shallow pool of condensed saltwater which supports the body completely with little-to-no effort. People say float therapy results in a deep state of relaxation…what a way for mom to recharge!